Sunday, February 27, 2011

How life changes in an instant

The harsh reality is that that instant will forever be etched in the minds of Cantabrians and that instant has tragically happened twice for our city.

On Sept 4th 2010 our lives were forever changed when we were awoken from our beds at 4.35am by a massive earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale.  It was frightening on a level that no one can really explain.  There was large amounts of damage to some areas, including our central city.  Buildings were demolished and homes were left inhabitable.  There was a little luck on our side in that no one died as a direct result of the earthquake.  For my family it meant the sudden and tragic death of a much loved grandmother and in the midst of dealing with upset children and so so many aftershocks, we buried her.

Life slowly moved on and the people of this province had returned to work, school and hopefully some sort of normality.  We kept telling ourselves that we were lucky, that it could have been so much worse.  The aftershocks slowly settled, although some caused more damage and frayed nerves again (Boxing Day comes to mind).

But as the re-building of not only homes and buildings but our lives took place, the unthinkable happened.  Another large quake.  This one not so strong, 6.3, but closer to the city and at half the depth.  This time, luck was not on the side of our city.  This one happened at lunch time and much more frightening than the first for so many people.  This one devastated our city, more homes are destroyed, buildings have completely collasped and lives have been lost.  More lives than we even know.  Many more are still missing.

What has touched us as a country is the amount of help pouring into this city from our international friends.  The amount of work that is been done by these people and our very own emergency personnel is absolutely outstanding.

As I sit in my home with the sun shining in and my children playing happily outside, I have much to be thankful for.  All friends and family working in the city managed to escape safely.  Although some were trapped for a time.  One friend was buried for 5 hours and others around her did not make it out.  Our home is not damaged, we have power and water.  I feel so removed from what is happening a few kilometres from my home.

Yet I crave some normality.  So I have thrown myself back into my work.  I feel quilty and it seems really selfish when all others want is their loved one home, but it is what I need right now.  What my children need.  My husband (builder bob) has been out helping friends and family with their chimneys etc.  What a good man.

There are many many people not so lucky as me. Not only from our fair city but from all over the world.  My thoughts and prayers go out to those people.  We are still carrying your hopes with us.

Our city will smile again.  We will rise again to be the beautiful city that we were.  It will take time and much more heartache but we will get there.

Keep safe everybody.

Kate xx

1 comment:

  1. Kate that is so sweet :)

    I wrote a post yesterday on the same subject. My husband read it this morning and said what I wrote nearly made him cry (and he never cries!)

    So, so sad and we all have a long road ahead of us, even us lucky ones.

    You are one step ahead of me being able to concentrate on work. My paint tins remain untouched since Monday, but I needed to achieve something so I have been cleaning the house constantly...don't think it has ever been so clean, lol!

    You take care and we will meet up soon :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails